Thursday, January 15, 2009

No Riding in YUMA? ARIZONA no ride zone.

Growing up in Yuma, Arizona was lots of fun. Especially if you love motorcross and most motorsports there was tons of places to ride. Now, the City of Yuma had developed most of Yuma County. There for eliminating some of the "riding spots " in Yuma. I called the Arizona BLM in Yuma Arizona, to find out about a riding hot spot called "The PIT". That has been a favorite riding place of Yumans for over 30 years. The Yuma BLM office directed me to the Bureau of Reclamation . I had no idea what that agency did or what it was. So I called the number and was directed to speak to Anna Pinnel. After playing phone tag for a couple of minutes, I finally was able to make contact with her. I couldn't keep up with all the information I was reciving. When I asked about the famous "PIT" she said that location was completely off limits. That land is a part of the Bureau of Reclamation which is an organization wich was established in 1902 to serve the people of the United States and assist them in managing the water in the west. The Pit is used by the Bureau of Reclamation as a borrow pit. They borrow the dirt to help with a canal that is near by Interstate 8. The use of that dirt comes in very handy especially since it has clay like properties. It is also home to the flat tail horned lizard. This lizard has been on and off the endgangered species list for some time now. Any OHV can be a threat to this animal. Ms. Pinnel made it very clear that anyone caught riding on that land is traspassing and if more and more people decide to ride in that area they can petition the BLM to patrol it. Traspassers will be sited. Although at this time the Bureau of Reclamation does not have the funds to patrol it if caught the Sherrifs office, Highway Patrol and BLM can and will site you. So please stay off of the pit. I was curious to see if it was possible to host an event there. I asked Ms Pinnel of any chance that the "Pit" might be open to the public anytime soon and unfortunatly that is uncertain. Some of the land that was handed over to the Bureau of Reclamation in 1902 has stayed in possession of the BOR since then. There have been several people, organizations, clubs, and companies interested in that land but the BOR is not going to give it up any time soon. I went down there to take some photos of the land so people could know what I was talking about. Unfortuately due to technical difficulties, I was not able to take the photographs, however I was able to get video footage of people riding around the pit as we were getting ready to leave. Check out NO RIDINGINYUMA . For more information regarding the BOR you can also check out http://www.usbr.gov/. I will keep you posted on riding places in Yuma Arizona. Keep check out this blog and check out http://jetrentyuma.com

No comments:

Post a Comment