Sunday, January 25, 2009

Law enforcement at Imperial Sand Dunes out of control?

I read the paper this morning to hear about an unfortunate story. I have heard recently several stories regarding abuse of power. One person told me about how a law enforcement officer at the Imperial Sand Dunes gave everyone at thier camp tickets for this that and the other. They justified it by saying they had to meet thier quota. The article in The Sun (Yuma Newspaper) talked about a couple that has invested over $70,000 in a rail to drive from Canada to ride the Imperial Sand Dunes. One argument was the leos at the sand dunes were too agressive with the people going over to the Southern California Dunes. Some arugued the stiffer control by the leos was due to people's carelessness. Personally my thoughts on this is, there is always three sides to a story. Side A side B and the truth. Some people might say the Law enforcement is out of control but if they are you can always visit their office and talk to someone about the Leo abuse. I had at one point received a citation by the highway patrol for not having the insurance information for the vehicle I was driving. It was not mine and I was borrowed. I couldn't find the information so I told the officer " I don't know where the insurance is." Out of frustration (I hope) the officer reached in the car opened my glove compartment and started to look through the paperwork in the vehicle. I was scared at that point. He should have never reached in my car to get anything unless I was acting weird or gave him a reason to search my vehicle. If he had probable cause he could search it but there was no probable cause no search warrant. He opened my back pack and was asking my why I had so many cameras. I explained to him it was because I was a photographer and was on my way to the college course. He gave me a ticket and sent me on my way. I called his supervisor and told him what happened. I obtained a lawyer to fight the traffic ticket in court. A few days later the ticket was dismissed by the highway patrol. Some issues can be resolved when you speak to the supervisors. If you have witnesses it always helps to have a written statement of what happened. Be careful at the dunes! I have personally witness people drinking and driving out there. I scared me enough to where I don't drive at night at the sand dunes. For the article in the Yuma sun check out http://www.yumasun.com/news/_47364___article.html/_.html

No comments:

Post a Comment