Monday, January 5, 2009

Growing up in the Dunes!

My family moved here from Phoenix at a very young age when I turned 1. My passion for motor sports started I think about 3 years old. I remember it like it was yesterday I saw my first glorious dirt bike. It sucked me right in. I rode my first dirtbike when I was 5 and have never stopped riding once since then. I my brothers friend had a dirtbike sitting in our front lawn. I took it started it and took off that is when my passion really took off. The awesome feeling of flying through the air and reaching unknown natural hights. If you ride a dirtbike you know what I am talking about. that Superman feeling. I remember being 10 years old begging my older siblings to take me to the "Dunes" (Imperial Sand Dunes). My brother of course would say " Your too young,". I would turn with my sad face and capture my sister's attention and she said " It's ok you can go with me." So I did. It was great. Back in those days there weren't any quads just ATCs. That was how it was for a long time until I could finally drive there on my own. There was no off ramp just a crack in a fence, right were the rest stop is now. One would get off at the rest stop and go through to the sand dunes. There was no BLM at least not one that I saw. If you had an accident and no one to help you, you were pretty much stuck there. We would go and party there almost every weekend it was the HOTSPOT back in those days. I gained a lot of knowledge through my younger years about ATCs ATVs and Dirtbikes. What would work there and what wouldn't. I purchased several equipment through the years some would just be so worn out there was no use to repair. From Yamahas, Suzukis to Hondas, I tried and bought them all. I can honetly tell you that is the reason I rent what I have, is all due to purcahsing equipment and finding out what works for me. I just didn't set up shop and say ok, rent my stuff. The knowledge I have gained about ATVs I have paid for with years of experience. The lessons that I have learned don't come cheap at times equipment is so expensive or the cost to repair is really high. That knowledge no one can purchase anywhere. Growing up in Yuma was great for me. I had the best of both worlds living in Arizona and having a short ride to the California Sand Dunes. I have clients that travel from all over the world to ride the Buttercup dunes. I have had people come from Austria, New Zealand, England, China and India. They all heard the rumor that it's the greatest riding place on earth...:) It's exciting to hear about people being so passionate about it. I remember a young man that had been saving up to come here for his 18th birthday, he had longed to come here since he was 10. They rented some equipment and it was a ride of a life time especially since he had anticipated this day for years! I meet a lot of amazing people who all have a passion for riding. Well c ya later I got to get my dirtbike ready, I'm going riding

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment